Monday 5 December 2011

An Openly or Quietly Proud Charity Shopper

Where did you get that?
How often do you see somebody wearing something you admire and, when you compliment them, they say 'I got it in a charity shop?' What do you make of them? Do you think 'what a clever bargain hunter?' or 'what a cheapskate?'

As a freshly graduated, jobless person in the recession of 1993, I would tell people I had bought things I was proud of in charity shops all the time. Friends asked me why I did this, and suggested that I ought not to tell people about bargains, particularly when the item was impressive.  People said, 'let them think you bought it new,' but then again it was the early 1990s.

Sly Secretiveness for Success
There was something to be said for this secretiveness, particularly in job interviews or at career networking events to help my job search by creating the illusion of being successful through my clothing.

The Charity Shop Snob
In charity shops I look for:

  • Things made from quality fabrics - linen, cotton, cashmere, silk, wool etc. Once (in Oxfam, Highgate, North London) I found a large quantity of red Hessian, which I used to make my own canvases for paintings
  • Designer items - these only interest me if:
    • they look good on, and
    • they are a bargain. 
  • A traditionally expensive item, i.e. a party dress, winter coat, boots or suit. 
The next blog will be about creating an individual look that tells people who you really are through your appearance. This isn't about 'image' (I haven't heard that word since my pop music-hazed teens) it's about having fun, creating a look for yourself. The Wardrobe Warrior contributor to this blog is a fine example of someone who does this (often through charity shops). 

No comments:

Post a Comment